Sunday 18 March 2018

I have aphasia

I have just put in all the things I put onto JustGiving for the last week. Obviously I am asking for a bit of ‘charrity’  heh heh

Two many things all at once, so hopefully you can see what I am on about! Tell people what actually happened to me … almost...

I have aphasia. Interesting. A few shrieks after having ovarian cancer - but amazingly that was easier to deal with. This has taken me nearly 4 years just to deal with the fact that I can’t read, can’t remember things - sometimes I can’t focus at all…but I can’t read YET [if I poke my eyes almost into a book it helps a bit] etc.

So it has taken a long time to get here – but I AM here. And I now want something please - I want to raise some funds for all the people from all walks of life who have developed aphasia. I am amazed about how many people there are that have aphasia. About 367,000 people in the UK. A LOT!

Aphasia is a communication 'disability' caused by damage to the language centres of the brain. It can affect understanding of language, speech, reading and writing. I had experienced a massive ‘subarachnoid brain haemorrhage’. Then a stroke 4 days later. That’s where I said ‘interesting’.

To be fair, it isn’t very interesting – but it stops me having a ‘normal’ conversation, sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Some days I can’t read at all – other days I read a few pages. Yelling with delight! Some people have a harder time than I do – and we REALLY want to help one another. Mainly to have a bit of a chuckle!

Aphasia does not affect one's intelligence – it just stops you from communicating ‘normally’.

To me, this little challenge [my first one - so far!] is raising funds to help in the fight against not being able to speak - or have someone to sit near you just to make you feel better. This challenge is an opportunity for me to raise awareness and significant funds to help the fight against being alone or being afraid.

Aphasia can affect anyone at all ... so your money will be well spent.

Thanks for taking the time to visit my JustGiving page and to read all this.
Onward and upward!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sandhy, I know I haven't been in touch with you for a long time, but I've kept an eye on you on/off. I'm so sad for you, seeing all that you have been through, and all that you are still going through....but pleased that you are still, essentially, you and that you are still fighting, for what else can we do but fight. ❤️ H x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi H,
    Incredibly your comment only got to me now? Very odd. But so nice to hear from you ❤
    Thank you for ‘keeping an eye’ on me - and don’t be sad. I always do the fighting thing [although I did get rather furious for a while!] - we have to trundle along, hoping for everything to ‘get back to normal’ - or what can we do? So yes - we’ll fight! And good for us!
    Take care you :)
    Sx

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to comment on anything in this blog, or share your own thoughts, feel free, I would love to hear from you.