Sunday 30 November 2008

chaos...

Sunday 30th November

Oi! I just got back from two weeks working away in Portugal. I was really pleased with myself, as I only had one day of that stupid chemo fatigue – I drove the 4 hours back home from Gatwick even, with no problems. So, an achievement! While I was there I saw all my friends which was wonderful, and I was spoiled rotten by The Style Queen...she would have dragged me off for all sorts of treats if I’d allowed her to, but I was too tired, and reneged. But she did make me a fab facial and took me to lunch every day – what more can one ask? AND the company have renewed my contract for another year, which is great, so I arrived back exhausted but feeling as if I’d managed rather well. As usual, onward and upward!

Arrived home to discover that I have been voted a finalist in the Facebook for Good contest – this is basically a competition to see who has used Facebook to their best advantage this year – to their own good. I entered a story, telling how I had been in touch with friends from school and old friends from all sorts of countries...NOT expecting to be a finalist at all, just hoping to make Ovarian Cancer a little more ‘visible’. And, lo and behold, I am a finalist! Amazing, as there are literally hundreds of stories, all touching in their own way, and I am in the top five? Incredible! So, while I was away, a cute little video camera arrived (the prize) with which I had to make a video to back up my initial story. Oh dear. I do hate live feed of myself!

It had to be in by 10.30pm today, so you can imagine the frenzy this weekend – trying to put something together that made sense. It doesn’t include all my friends, just the Facebook Brigade, and even then it was hard to put into 3 minutes [the max allowed] quite how much everyone has supported and helped me. Anyway, it’s done now, and we’ll hope for the best – the final prize is €3000 for your favourite charity or €1000 for yourself. I am trying to decide between Force and Ovacome – but don’t need to worry too much about that unless I win, which I seriously doubt I will. But it’s fun trying! And everyone, as usual, has been brilliant, sending pics of themselves and then cheering when the video finally appeared on YouTube...phew...we went to the pub to calm down! Oh and today I got an iPhone!! Whoo hoo – with a 16 month contract. All long term things have been put on hold in my head until recently, but now I am back in the real world – out of the ‘I have cancer and might die’ world. What a relief...

And last but not least – my hair is growing ten to the dozen [my hairdresser in Portugal, Romi, said I have MORE hair than before!] so I’ve had mad highlights put into it. This has to have been the first time in my life that I enjoyed going to the hairdressers. Now I look as if I have a hair style, rather than ‘chemo’ hair growing back. Gotta be a good thing!!

1 comment:

  1. The video is great and talk of "longterm" anything, is a truly wonderful thing!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

If you would like to comment on anything in this blog, or share your own thoughts, feel free, I would love to hear from you.